Moving Home Tips
1. As soon as contracts are exchanged, decide on a moving date.
2. Try and do your move mid week if possible and avoid either weekends or bank holidays.
3. Hire professional cleaners to give your new place a thorough going over before you move in.
4. Before the removal firm arrives, have a clear out. Any unwanted clutter can be auctioned off, given to charity, etc.
5. Get someone to look after children for the day. Also try and arrange the same for pets or book them into kennels or a cattery. Ensure wherever you use has your new address.
6. Compile a fact file for the people who are moving into your property with details of rubbish collection, milk deliveries, recycling schemes and so on.
7. Assemble all the keys to your home that you may have left with neighbours, friends etc.
8. Make a scale plan of your new home to help the removals company to ensure your items all make their way to the correct rooms of your new home. Color coding boxes according to room is the easiest way to ensure this.
9. Final preparations should include an inventory of everything to be moved, advising the post office to redirect your post and cancelling the milk and newspapers if you have them delivered. If you are moving to a different area, register with a new GP.